5 Ways to get More out of your Spin class
Spin class has become a favorite way for many to get exercise – it is the most popular group cycling exercise spinning classes around Los Angeles California in gyms around the world. It is easy to see why – it is not just a passing fad; it is a very effective way to lose weight and stay fit. Many people also like it because unlike lone workouts where it can get lonely and leave one feeling discouraged, this is a group sport that is led by an instructor, meaning there are higher chances of staying motivated.
Spinning is not easy; it is intense; you will be on that bike for between 40 and 50 minutes for each session and it can get very tiring. In fact, first timers will tell you that it can be so grueling that time slows down to a stop. So how do the more experienced spinners do it? Using a great technique called visualization. Spin class instructors use it to get everyone through it, but you can take it to a whole new level if you want to get the most out of your spin class. Visualization in spin class simply means that you transport your thoughts to some place that is more meaningful to you than the gym – in other words, you mentally travel to a place where you will enjoy riding much more.
Your instructor will help you get started – he may tell you, for instance, to imagine that you are enjoying a ride on a trail on a warm day – but because the physical exercise is so exhausting you may find that you don’t stay there for long. Your tired muscles soon bring you back to the gym and you may even find that you are too tired to continue. It doesn’t have to be that way; you can improve your visualization techniques using these 5 tips:
1. It is very important to close your eyes when spinning to get rid of distractions. You want to be able to mentally focus on a place that means something to you and it is hard to do that with all the movement around you. Closing your eyes helps keep you in the mental location of your choice.
2. Decide on a cycling location that has meaning to you. Do you particularly enjoy the commute to work? Did you cherish a holiday in rural France? If yes, imagine yourself cycling through the hills on a warm morning with the sun beating on your back. Do not limit yourself to your cycling alone – around you there are people walking on the path, there could be cows and other domestic animals – in other words, whatever makes it real for you.
3. It is important to stay positive throughout your visualization experience. You should see yourself achieving your goal. If, for instance, your visualization is of getting to work stay with it until you park your bike at your office. When you feel yourself faltering remind yourself that you can do it.
4. It is important to address all your senses during visualization. Visual – what do you see? Auditory- what do you hear? Kinesthetic – how does your body feel? Smell – what does the air around you smell like? And lastly, taste – how does it taste? All these things help to make your visualization all the more real.
5. Lastly, visualization is not the easiest thing to achieve. There are many distractions in spin class and you may find that you fail the first few times you try it. Do not be discouraged – the good news is that the more you do it the better you get at it so keep trying and before long you will be transported quite easily to a mental destination of your choice.
These tips should help you with visualization for spin classes in Los Angeles.